Don’t Let Me Download TikTok
Like Reignmarc Vincent Labuguen Lariosa

Don’t Let Me Download TikTok

Don’t Let Me Download TikTok

Description:

Published: January 14, 2021 0 0 59
By: Reignmarc Vincent Labuguen Lariosa, Cal State San Marcos
Hashtags: #Film #Film_ #Film_Analysis #film_developing #film_directing #film_editing #Film_editingFilm_ #Video #Video_ #video_clip #video_editing #video_editor #video_production #Video_productionVideo_

I’ve always had a fascination with 1980s culture, even though I was born two decades late, my generation has seemed to resurrect in preserving past, especially the 1980s. Forty years later, the energetic vibrant colors of that decade have been brewed from one generation to another like a fine aging wine. What is it about the 1980s that people admire the most, was it really such a golden age where the world was a utopia? Are we losing creatively that we have to milk the past for entertainment or are we just simply aesthetically appealed? I see a common trend in modern dance and art. There is always a medium that serves us a dose of entertainment, MySpace in the 2000s, Facebook in the 2010s, the short-lived Vine of 2013, and now the infamous Tiktok. A social media platform that allows users to express themselves in fifth-teen seconds, similarly to its predecessor Vine. But the difference between the two is how users utilized the app, Vine was well known for its comedic platform while Tiktok has surged for creative dancing while sampling mainstream music. Dance has dominated an entire artistic culture within Tiktok compared to its purposes for memes and comedy. I saw the similarities in Natalie Bookchin’s “Mass Ornament,” where the artist composed a montage of people dancing on YouTube. I had an interesting observation of rewatching Bookchin’s work, it does not matter what kind of dance people try to execute. People will always be motivated by adapting one influencer to another, just to express ourselves. I was inspired by Bookchin’s work to envision how people in today’s age admire one trend to another. It is just a matter of time the next big trend will happen and TikTok users will always be available to express themselves. So back to the 1980s, what is it that we admire the most that we kept preserving artistic ideals? The same goes for expressing ourselves in various forms of social media. Many are willing to express themselves that many of us are left watching. Watching someone on a smartphone seemed so pleasing these days, we are so easily vulnerable to satisfaction with strangers expressing themselves. Don’t let me download TikTok.