A Safe Place to Rest from His Fears- A Poem
Like Kathryn Orcino

Description:

Published: June 30, 2015 3 0 696
By: Kathryn Orcino, California State University, San Marcos
Hashtags: #Creativewriting #Fiction #freeverse #Metaphors #Poetry #sleepyhollow #symbolic #Writing

"A Safe Place to Rest from His Fears" is another poem that I wrote for a creative writing class at CSUSM. At the time, I was reading Washington Irving's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" for an American literature class and was assigned to watch Tim Burton's "Sleepy Hollow" shortly after reading this story. This poem was loosely inspired by the Tim Burton film adaptation more than the Irving text, but I was still reflecting a little bit on the original story while creating this poem. Nathaniel Hawthorne's "Young Goodman Brown" also partially inspired me to write this poem, but my prose is definitely more modern. I attempted to combine the techniques of repetition and narration that I had learned in this class. On the surface, the poem may seem like just a story about a bewildered and frightened young man who is trying to hike his way across the wilderness so that he may reach place of refuge that allows him to temporarily rest from whoever is pursing him. However, I made the poem's meaning somewhat ambiguous to leave open the possibility of the young man being haunted by doubt , fears of the future, or some other paralyzing emotion instead a literal enemy or stalker.

Likers

Debbie Davidsohn Alanna Rossi Veronica Markowitz